Silk pillowcases are synonymous with luxury bedding. Making the investment in them doesn’t just mean spending a significant amount; it’s also a commitment to unparalleled comfort. Notably, many choose silk pillowcovers for unique benefits like reduced hair tangling and a healthier complexion post-slumber.
At Manito, we take pride in offering the finest mulberry silk pillowcovers and an exclusive range of silk home collections. One frequent piece of advice we give to our esteemed clients is on the importance of proper silk care. This not only ensures longevity but also guarantees that you get the most value from your investment. So, how to wash silk pillowcases? Let’s dive in.
Understanding the Need for Special Silk Care
Silk’s delicate nature stems from its origin. Harvested from silkworms, it primarily comprises two proteins: 80% Fibroin and 20% Sericin. This protein structure makes it vulnerable to potential damage from water, chemicals, and sun exposure during washing and drying. Unlike more robust fabrics like cotton, polyester, or nylon, silk needs a tender touch.
Yet, with the right care, silk doesn’t just last; it thrives. The very protein composition that demands special attention also gives silk its shine, elasticity, and thermal regulation properties.
The Proper Way to Wash Silk Pillowcases
Whether it’s hand washing or machine washing, the ultimate aim remains unchanged: preserving the fabric’s soft and silky nature. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to wash silk pillowcases without compromising their integrity.
Hand Washing Silk Pillowcases
Step 1: Make sure to pre-soak the silk pillowcase in cold water for 3-5minutes.
Step 2: Turn the pillowcases inside out and fully immerse them in cold water with a silk-specific detergent in a clean basin.
Step 3: Gently move the pillowcases around in the water. Avoid rubbing the fabric against itself.
Step 4: Rinse thoroughly with cold water. Instead of wringing, press the pillowcases gently to get rid of excess water.
Step 5 : Hang the pillowcases to air-dry, ensuring they are out of direct sunlight.
Machine Washing Silk Pillowcases
Step 1: Make sure to pre-soak it in cold water for 3-5minutes.
Step 2: Invert the pillowcases, placing them inside a protective mesh laundry bag, then into the washing machine.
Step 3: Select a gentle cycle with cold water (max 30°C) and add a mild liquid detergent.
Step 4: Immediately after the cycle ends, remove the pillowcases to prevent wrinkles.
Step 5: Give the pillowcases a gentle shake to straighten them, then lay them out to air-dry.
Drying and Additional Silk Care Tips
Concerned about excess moisture in your pillowcases post-wash? A clean, dry towel can be used to roll and gently press the pillowcases, extracting the surplus water.
- Iron while the fabric is still slightly damp under a low temperature setting (below 120°C).
- If you need to use a steamer, make sure it’s on a setting suitable for silk.
- Always iron on the reverse side or place a protective cloth between the silk and iron.
Pro Tips for Silk Care
- Never expose silk pillowcases to water temperatures above 30°
- Avoid bleach and fabric softeners which can damage the silk fibers.
- If you opt to use a dryer, choose a no-heat air cycle.
- It’s best to wash silk pillowcases prior to their first use to enhance their softness.
- Steaming can eliminate wrinkles without direct heat contact.
Avoiding Common Mistakes
Be wary of:
- Refrain from using hot water, which can harm the silk.
- Always use a mesh bag during machine washing for protection.
- Never rub silk harshly; it can lead to material damage.
- Do not wring silk; it can distort the shape and damage the fibers.
- Avoid drying silk in direct sunlight to prevent fading and weakening of fibers.
Final Thoughts and Recommendations
With the right care, your silk pillowcases will remain a luxurious staple in your bedroom for years. Remember to wash them at least once a week to maintain their pristine quality.
For storage, hang them on wide-bar hangers, avoiding clips to prevent imprints. For long-duration storage, a breathable garment bag is perfect.
Ready for more silk wonders? Dive into Manito’s exclusive range of silk home collections. Enhance your sleep and home aesthetics with the best that silk has to offer.